Subject: Call for Papers to Asian Regional Conference
of Intl Lesbian and Gay Association
We are pleased to invite you to the 2nd International Lesbian & Gay Association - Asia Regional Conference (also referred to as Cebu 2005)
entitled “Coming Out, Coming Home”.
ILGA is a world-wide network of national and local groups and activists dedicated to achieving equal rights for sexually marginalized people everywhere. Founded in 1978, it now has more than 400 member organizations. Every continent and around 90 countries are represented, ranging from small collectives to
national groups and entire cities.
ILGA-Asia, a chapter of ILGA, is in the midst of organizing its 2nd regional conference to be held in Cebu CIty, Philippines.
The overall theme of this conference will focus on the distinctiveness of LGBTs in Asia, as it hopes to further understand the meanings and significance of LGBT representation within the Asian cultural context in this era of aggressive globalization. The conference also hopes to strengthen the direction of ILGA in the Asian region.
Although the program of the conference proper is still to be finalized, plenary and workshop themes have been identified.
The plenary topics are as follows:
• Health priorities in the Asian region unique to LGBTs This includes identifying the health concerns for LGBTs particular to the areas in Asia, the way in
which the issues are addressed, etc.
• Taking transgender issues seriously in Asia This includes understanding the nature of transgenderism, its distinctiveness to lesbian, gay and bisexual identities, etc.
• The human rights-based approach in LGBT advocacy This includes identifying the laws that criminalize LGBT existence in Asia, the laws that affirm it, the gains of the human rights approach, the limitations, etc.
• Religions that condemn LGBTs and spiritualities that celebrate it This includes knowing the extent in which religions in Asia discriminate LGBTs, learning of the
spiritual practices of LGBT communities across Asia, etc.
The workshop topics are as follows:
• Skills workshops Advancing LGBT legislative advocacy and addressing discrimination in the workplace in the Asian region Understanding the nature of same-sex domestic violence in Asia
• Sharing workshops Visibility of Asian LGBTs in local, national and global media
Expressions of Asian LGBTs in the arts
• General workshops LGBTs within Asian indigenous communities and repressive societies; surviving hostile environments and moral exclusion LGBTs and its interfacing with social movements
WE WOULD WELCOME YOUR PARTICIPATION. THE DEADLINE FOR PAPER AND WORKSHOP PROPOSALS, AS WELL AS SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATIONS IS AUGUST 20, 2005. THE DEADLINE FOR REGISTRATION IS SEPTEMBER 20, 2005. COMPLETE THE APPROPRIATE FORMS THAT CAN BE DOWNLOADED FROM OUR WEBSITE http://www.ilga.org/asia/
AND SEND TO email@example.com ATTENTION MIRA OFRENEO (CEBU2005 SECRETARIAT).
(SIGNED) MIRA OFRENEO, CLIC
(SIGNED) TISHA YALAYA, cebupride CEBU2005 SECRETARIAT
Visit our websitewww.geocities.com/progayphilippines
Progay Philippines is a service and advocacy organization that provides counseling, training and education assistance to marginalized gay, lesbian, transgender and bisexual Filipinos, especially the youth and the ageing sectors. ProGay initiated Pride traditions in the country when it led the first ever gay and lesbian Pride parade in the entire Asian region on 26 June 1994. For more information, log on to www.geocities.com/progayphilippines