transdada

poetics, time, body disruption and marginally queer solutions

Sunday, September 10, 2006

Reflections on "He That Once Seemed Invisible" by Tobias Novak


      The “heartsong” in this poem is my transness, that part of my being where my sex/gender and body/mind do not match. What do I mean by transness? The answer is twofold.
   
   First, I mean transsexual, or, the fact that my body and brain chemistry feel completely wrong. My transsexuality is the feeling that I was “born in the wrong body.” It is the way my breasts hurt when I notice or think about them; it is the fact that my body does not feel like my own. It is that I look in the mirror and see a female body, but underneath I see a male body waiting to crawl out from underneath.

      My transsexuality is what drives me to start T (testosterone hormone therapy), shots I will inject in myself weekly or biweekly for the rest of my life to make my brain chemistry mirror that of a biological male.
      It is why I plan on getting top surgery, or removal of breasts and creation of a male-appearing chest. Bottom surgery refers to genital surgeries. For FTM’s (female-to-male transsexuals), bottom surgery is expensive, takes several surgeries to create one set of genitalia, and does not create a fully functional penis. Its risks and costs make me want to wait for a better surgery to come along. That’s only my opinion; many FTM’s get bottom surgery and are happy. My transsexuality is everything female about me that does not match my male self-image.

****

Lawyers Mull US Supreme Court Appeal In Nebraska Gay Marriage Case


(Omaha, Nebraska) Attorneys who lost an appeal of Nebraska's broad ban on any recognition of same-sex relationships say they are still considering whether to appeal the case to the US Supreme Court.

A panel on the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals in July overturned a lower court ruling that struck down the state's constitutional amendment, ruling that the issue is a matter of state rights and not a violation of the U-S Constitution.
Last month the full court declined to reconsider the ruling.  That leaves 90 days to decide whether to go to the Supreme Court. 

"We haven't made a decision at this point," Lambda Legal attorney Ken Upton tells the Associated Press.  "We have just begun weighing that option."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home