transdada

poetics, time, body disruption and marginally queer solutions

Monday, September 20, 2004

Evangelist Jimmy Swaggart Threatens To Kill Gays
Statement by Matt Foreman, National Gay and Lesbian Task Force Executive Director:


"The leaders of major organizations heading the campaign to deny same sex couples equal marriage rights frequently say that they do not hate gay people and that they respect us as human beings. Just last night in a national simulcast to oppose same sex marriage, for example, Focus on the Family President Dr. James Dobson said, "I'm not here to cast aspersions on homosexuals... they need our acceptance and respect... We are not hateful people."

The Task Force calls upon the leaders of last night's simulcast - Dr. James Dobson (Focus on the Family), Tony Perkins (Family Research Council), Ted Haggard (National Association of Evangelicals), Richard Land (Director of the Religious Liberties and Ethics Division of the Southern Baptist Convention) - to immediately denounce anti-gay violence and specifically repudiate evangelist Jimmy Swaggert's statement, "I've never seen a man in my life I wanted to marry. And I'm gonna be blunt and plain: if one ever looks at me like that, I'm gonna kill him and tell God he died."

All lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people and all people of good will be listening."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home