transdada

poetics, time, body disruption and marginally queer solutions

Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Transmissions 94
Ex-trans, repressed trans


There are some subjects that just seem taboo, hot potatoes that no one wants to peer at too closely. This may well be one of them.

I want to talk about “Ex-Trans” people. Those who have decided that being transgendered wasn’t right for them, and turned to religion as a way “out” of their trans selves.

When I spoke to friends about this topic, most visibly shuddered. For many transgendered people, exploring one’s trans feelings may have meant giving up close friends or family over issues of religion. For others, we may have once turned to religion as a way to somehow “cure” our transness.

I, too, tried that path at one time, turning to Christianity as a way to somehow remove my transgender feelings. Then again, I also recall praying every night as a young child, asking to wake up the next morning as the girl I knew I was. I suppose I’ve long been one for hedging my bets.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home