transdada

poetics, time, body disruption and marginally queer solutions

Wednesday, March 03, 2004

Gay marriages in West Hollywood?
A city council member for Southern California’s gay mecca laments the fact that the city hasn’t the same power as San Francisco to issue same-sex marriage licenses. But that doesn’t stop her from vowing to stand up against Bush’s call for constitutional discrimination.
By Abbe Land, council member, West Hollywood, Calif.
An Advocate.com exclusive posted March 3, 2004
San Francisco mayor Gavin Newsom’s decision to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples has generated a lot of interest in my community. Similarly, President George W. Bush's call for a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriages generated an even bigger response in my hometown. I live in West Hollywood, a city in Southern California, and I also serve on the West Hollywood city council.
Like President Bush and Mayor Newsom, I took an oath to support and defend the Constitution of the United States. This proposed constitutional amendment is an attack on our nation’s most sacred document. Thanks to President Bush, I have never been more motivated to stand up and fulfill my oath of office.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home