transdada

poetics, time, body disruption and marginally queer solutions

Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Crossing sexual boundaries in Nepal
By Charles Haviland
BBC News, Kathmandu


"When I was about 13 it came from my heart and soul, the feeling that I was different from others," says Manisha, who has the body of a man but wants to be a woman - and likes to be described as a woman. Manisha, now 24, is what is known in Kathmandu as a "meti" or a transgender person.

"Up to the age of 18 I thought I was the only person like that in the world. I was very depressed."

That changed when Manisha began meeting similar people in the parks of the Nepalese capital. It changed even more in 2001 with the founding of the Blue Diamond Society (BDS), Nepal's only organisation for sexual minorities.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home