transdada

poetics, time, body disruption and marginally queer solutions

Wednesday, September 01, 2004

To Governor Schwarzenegger on 'Girlie Men'

Dear Governor Schwarzenegger,

On behalf of "girlie men" everywhere I'm perplexed. Last night while you were speaking at the Republican National Convention, you said, "To those critics who are so pessimistic about our economy, I say: "Don't be girlie men.""

I've never known girlie men to be pessimistic about much of anything. Think of our leading girlie men icons - Liberace, Paul Lynde, Charles Nelson-Reilly, Freddy Mercury, Nathan Lane, and Harvey Fierstein - all hopeless optimists, smiling and fighting on in the face of adversity.

Oops. Now I get it. You simply misread the teleprompter. You obviously meant to say, "To those critics who are so pessimistic about our economy, I say: "BE girlie men." I look forward to someone in your office setting the record straight, so to speak.

All the best,

Matt Foreman
Executive Director National Gay and Lesbian Task Force

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home