transdada

poetics, time, body disruption and marginally queer solutions

Wednesday, May 05, 2004

Disney may block anti-Bush film
Reports: Media company attempts to stop Miramax from releasing Michael Moore documentary.
NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Oscar-winning filmmaker Michael Moore's documentary linking President Bush with powerful Saudi families, including that of Osama bin Laden, is sparking the latest fight within the Walt Disney corporation.

The film, set to debut at the Cannes film festival later this month, has yet to be released. The New York Times and Hollywood trade paper Daily Variety said in its Wednesday editions that Walt Disney Co. has moved to prevent its Miramax Films unit from distributing "Fahrenheit 9/11."

The Disney edict could herald the bloodiest political battle yet between Miramax's feisty co-chairman, Harvey Weinstein, and Disney CEO Michael Eisner, who oversaw the purchase of Miramax a decade ago, Daily Variety said.

"Fahrenheit 9/11," is Moore's follow-up to his Academy Award-winning "Bowling for Columbine." Rumors had been circulating of a July release in North America, but the film does not appear on Miramax's summer schedule, the Variety said.

The Times quoted a Miramax spokesman as saying that the company was "discussing the issue with Disney. We're looking at all of our options and look forward to resolving this amicably."



~

Disney Has Blocked the Distribution of My New Film... by Michael Moore

May 5, 2004

Friends,

I would have hoped by now that I would be able to put my work out to the public without having to experience the profound censorship obstacles I often seem to encounter.

Yesterday I was told that Disney, the studio that owns Miramax, has officially decided to prohibit our producer, Miramax, from distributing my new film, "Fahrenheit 911." The reason? According to today's (May 5) New York Times, it might "endanger" millions of dollars of tax breaks Disney receives from the state of Florida because the film will "anger" the Governor of Florida, Jeb Bush. The story is on page one of the Times and you can read it here (Disney Forbidding Distribution of Film That Criticizes Bush).

The whole story behind this (and other attempts) to kill our movie will be told in more detail as the days and weeks go on. For nearly a year, this struggle has been a lesson in just how difficult it is in this country to create a piece of art that might upset those in charge (well, OK, sorry -- it WILL upset them...big time. Did I mention it's a comedy?). All I can say is, thank God for Harvey Weinstein and Miramax who have stood by me during the entire production of this movie.

There is much more to tell, but right now I am in the lab working on the print to take to the Cannes Film Festival next week (we have been chosen as one of the 18 films in competition). I will tell you this: Some people may be afraid of this movie because of what it will show. But there's nothing they can do about it now because it's done, it's awesome, and if I have anything to say about it, you'll see it this summer -- because, after all, it is a free country.

Yours,

Michael Moore
mmflint@aol.com
www.michaelmoore.com


~

COMBINED FORCES COMMAND AFGHANISTAN CASUALTY RELEASE
BAGRAM AIRFIELD, Afghanistan – One U.S. Soldier died and 16 were injured in a single military vehicle accident today at approx. 9:30 a.m. when traveling from Bagram Airfield to Kabul.
Coalition medical personnel provided immediate first aid to the injured Soldiers.
The injured were transported by ground and air to Bagram airfield to receive care for their injuries.
As of 3 p.m. today, two Soldiers were treated and released for minor injuries. Nine Soldiers are currently undergoing evaluation at the Bagram medical facility. Five Soldiers were admitted to the medical facility, and three of those Soldiers are currently undergoing surger



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home