transdada

poetics, time, body disruption and marginally queer solutions

Wednesday, February 25, 2004

'Seven Challenges for a Twenty-First Century Artist' by Rick Visser

1. I understand that because we have entered a very decisive era in world history, one in which the entire world-system is disintegrating, I am witness not only to the end of the world as we know it, but also to the end of art as we know it. In light of this, I understand that the next few decades will be a time of terrible troubles, a chaotic time, a time of wild oscillations economically, politically and culturally. I understand that nobody knows how it will come out and that it is inherently indeterminate.
2. I understand that, because of this, there cannot be a clear path or sense of certainty in my artistic journey, that I am bound to wander “through dark woods” with insufficient clarity as to where I should be heading and that I should be prepared to change directions as new understandings become clear. I should not view this as intellectual or artistic immaturity but, if done in the spirit of these challenges, one of integrity and courage.
3. I understand that in such a time as this (a time of structural crisis), although the future is essentially unpredictable, individual and small group action can actually be more affective than in stable times - small inputs can lead to large outputs - and from this understanding, I take the view that my work (and every other small act) can and will affect the larger equation.
4. I understand that I must seriously study the alternatives in art, politics, thought and ethics.
5. I understand that I must work very hard, politically, intellectually, morally and artistically to move my life and work in a direction that will contribute to the creation of a world reflecting the highest human aspirations.
6. I understand that I must consciously assemble the tools necessary to do this work and create models of the building I want to see built.
7. I understand that collaboration, both in art and in politics, may be the most important means of bringing this vision to fruition. I must discuss and share my thoughts and ideas not only with the artistic community, but also, as importantly, with those in other disciplines, not just in my own locality but throughout the world. I may neither disregard my most immediate community nor ignore the most distant.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home